We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Explorer

Malapoa1

Likes # 0

I am trying to help a friend whose PC has not been used for some time. I found that IE would not respond. I did manage to connect to the net through Windows update and downloaded and installed not only 58 updates but also IE8. This I thought would solve the IE problem. Unfortunately it has not. Am I right in thinking it may be the settings of the AVG security programme that are blocking IE. Advice please.

Like this post
Malapoa1

Likes # 0

Response to peter99co - Router showing four bar signal on PC. Resposnse to both peter99co and rdave13 = thanks for your help. Unfortunately it will be seven days before I can try your ideas as I am away from home all next week. I will report the following week

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try going to start, all programs, accessories, system tools and select Internet Explorer (no addons). If it opens then go to tool, internet options, advanced tab and reset IE.
Close the browser and try again from the desktop icon.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

You need to check your set ups IP addressing. Are you Cable Modem, Router or what?

Like this post
Malapoa1

Likes # 0

Clicking on "E" produces a dailogogue box that says "Internet Explorer not responding". Nothing else.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

When you try to access IE what happens and what do you see on screen?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED