We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

java request timed out

shazzieb

Likes # 0

using vista home and using firefox 3.6 have always had java installed but now for some sites (esp games eg pogo.com) I am booted from game room after 5-10 minutes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both java and firefox to no avail. I have also ran tracert from the command prompt and got this

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\sharon>tracert click here

Tracing route to java.com [137.254.16.66]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 112 ms 105 ms 119 ms 212-166-251-122.red-acceso.airtel.net [212.166.2
51.122]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 108 ms 118 ms 119 ms 85.205.24.221
4 111 ms 139 ms 139 ms 213.242.109.157
5 108 ms 139 ms 119 ms ae-0-11.bar1.Madrid2.Level3.net [4.69.141.45]
6 128 ms 139 ms 139 ms ae-5-5.ebr1.Paris1.Level3.net [4.69.141.42]
7 134 ms 139 ms 139 ms ae-100-100.ebr2.Paris1.Level3.net [4.69.141.238]

I have allowed it through my firewalls and antivrus but I can't rectify the problem.

I am not very pc literate.

Like this post
shazzieb

Likes # 0

Thanks but it didn't help

After ipcofig /release I got

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\sharon>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

C:\Users\sharon>

Once again thank you for the suggestion

Like this post
shallyd

Likes # 0

Unless you are using a static IP, what you have was assigned to you after your PC connected to a DHCP server. In which case you're already working fine.

If you are not able to connect to your DSL router, its possible you have an old IP assigned from a different source (old ISP perhaps?) and your new router doesn't know about it. Try typing this (things within paren's are just comments)
ipconfig /release (there is a space between ipconfig and /)
ipconfig /renew (the first command removes your old IP, this second one polls for a new one)

And here's an interesting factoid. When told to ping your own IP, which IP are they talking about?
You actually have 2 IP's, although most hackers are only aware of one.

IP #1, the one you'll find by typing ipconfig at a command prompt is probably what you're trying to ping. To do that you have to go out to a device, and have it route back to your machine. It's possible that PING has been disabled at that device. Unless it's your local router, not much you can do about it.

IP #2... 127.0.0.1 , it's an internal IP between your PC and your NIC. Try pinging that, it'll show you if your PC is at least talking to your NIC.

for more info click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room