We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does Visa back-up utility back up programmes?

villa fan

Likes # 0

Hi, I am in the process of changing PCs and will be going form Vista to Windows 7. I used the back-up utility in Vista to back-up my files to re-install to the new PC but I'm confused as to whether it will have backed up my programmes (photoshop, microsoft office etc)? In the help files it says it doesn't back-up programme files and when I look at what's on the external hard drive everything is zipped and I can't tell what's been backed-up. Any help greatfully received. I will be doing a separate back-up with WD hard drive with it's smartware software too to see if that is any clearer. I'm also guessing from this that it will be difficult to find specific things on the hard drive (eg. photo's or music) without re-installing the whole lot on the new PC?

Like this post
villa fan

Likes # 0

Thanks for comments, sorry if it seemed a stupid question!

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

I should imagine that if help file tell you that it wont,then it wont.Any registry items will be left on the old hard drive,unless the exe files have been transferred.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

No thats why it tells you it doesn't

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Its not stupid

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more