We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recycle bin does not change when emptied/filled

palinka

Likes # 0

OS is Vista. Earlier this year I had a thread called "recycle bin in Vista always shows empty" which I ticked as resolved because I thought it was - seems not!
On that occasion I used system restore, but I no longer know exactly when the problem began, so SysRestore is not an option, & I now doubt whether it really cured the problem earlier.
When the recycle bin is working properly it looks empty when it IS empty and it looks as though there is screwed-up paper in it when i've put something in it. It changes automatically between these 2 different forms of the bin icon. Now it stays the same all the time - sometimes as if empty, sometimes as if with something in it.
I've tried personalize> change desktop icons>restore default/or sometimes I've tried clicking on the relevant icon (empty or not empty) at that stage. And yes, I've then clicked
Apply - though that is sometimes greyed-out.
It's a very minor thing really, but very annoying.
Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This might help; click here

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

The Vista bin is problematic.

Will just add to rdave13's excellent link that I found that setting the bin up to use totally different icons (anything in the icon list) and then applying them, and then going back and changing them to the correct ones worked.

If the bin then occasionally misbehaves (I find the Icon can totally dissappear after emptying using disk cleanup... leaving just the bin text on the desktop) then just right clicking an empty spot on the desktop and selecting "refresh" fixes it. It can go for weeks OK and then do it.

It is a fault with Vista... widely reported, it affects different PC's differently with no seemingly common cause.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thank you both, that's very helpful; I've looked at rdave13's link and will have a go as soon as I finish the decorating I'm doing at the moment! Good to have your addition, mooly; reassuring to know it isn't just me! and as you say, it happens out of the blue for no apparent reason.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Now fixed,using rdave13's link. Thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK