We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC keeps turning of

redsusan

Likes # 0

Can I have some help with this problem please. My sons PC is switching itself of all the time and then he has to turn it on again by the tower.
It is an Acer Aspire AX3300 and is about 4 months old.Windows vista. and virgin broadband, I have run a virus check using virgin security but it found nothing.

Thanks
Susan

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The most common cause of switching off while running is overheating. Is your son into heavy gaming where the CPU and the graphics card are working extra hard? If so he might want to take it back to where he bought it and get it checked out.

Like this post
redsusan

Likes # 0

Just phoned my son and he said no he doesn't play any games only poker on face book, He bought it from Argos and although it's got 12 months warranty i dont think you can take it back can you?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I would certainly check with Argos what their returns policy is and you can do this with a phone call to the store or if you bought it on line you can look on their website.

If the Virgin security check is the only one you have run I would also download and run Malwarebytes click here to make sure that your son has not encountered any malware while he has been on line.

Like this post
shallyd

Likes # 0

follow the steps below to fix your problem

Step 1
Consider the symptoms that point to a problem of dust build-up. If your desktop or laptop computer shuts off after it's on for some time, but then when you wait a while and turn it on again it works fine, dust accumulation inside your computer is most likely the culprit! Dust collecting on components inside your computer's case will cause them to overheat. If your computer's components overheat, they may cause a number of problems, including shutting down of the computer. Obviously, if you turn your computer off and let it cool down, it will work fine when turned back on, until the heat builds up again. The first step is to place the brush attachement on your vacuum cleaner and remove dusk from all the vent and fan holes in your computer's case. Computers have one or more fans inside that draw air into the case and across components, and dust particles come right in with it.

Step 2
If you feel competent enough, you can disconnect your desktop computer from the electrical outlet, remove the cover, and carefully vacuum the inside. Be very careful not to disconnect or break any delicated wires or components. Or, you can take the computer outside, remove the cover and blow the dust out with a can of compressed air (which should be available at your local office supply store or computer retailer).

Step 3
If you have a laptop or notebook computer, it is not recommend that you take them apart for cleaning. They are very delicate and easily damaged if you are not experienced at taking them apart.

Read more: How to repair a computer that shuts down after being on a while | eHow.com click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more