We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD\DVRW Drive Doesn't Recognise Blank CD-Rs

BEARBEE

Likes # 0

As the title says, no matter what software I use, and I have tried WMP 11, Nero and Infrarecorder, everytime I try to burn tracks to CD-R or CD-RW I get to the stage where it asks for a blank disc, I put the disc in and it either says insert a blank disc, no disc or the program stops with a Program Not Responding message. I have tried uninstalling the drivers, tried all the programs, removed upper and lower filters, disabled all enhancements in sound category of control panel but still no joy, I have established that it appears to be a common problem but I am yet to find a solution.
I'm tearing my hair out here, please solve this for me !

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Are you using -R -RW discs. Your machine will not recognise +R +RW discs

Like this post
BEARBEE

Likes # 0

Yes, as my original post stated, I have tried CD-R and CD-RW blank discs and the same happens.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

But have you tried +R +RW older drives could only recognise - or + not both. Had that problem myself.

Like this post
BEARBEE

Likes # 0

Yes, I have tried +R and +RW as well, still the same outcome.

Like this post
BEARBEE

Likes # 0

Update on this, I was fiddling with the settings within media player, I disabled the nero plug-in and turned the burn speed down to the lowest and inserted a blank disc in the drive that it now recognised, it then started to go through the process of analysing all the 10 tracks on the burn list, it then showed them all as 'pending', next it converted the first track successfully and stopped, it then gave an error message which pointed to the burn speed being too high, yet when I checked the disc it had successfully burned the first track onto the disc ?
I hope this gives more clues to you guys because it has totally flumoxed me now - anyone ?

Like this post
BEARBEE

Likes # 0

Ok here's the update - After much frustration I decided that it must be the drive itself that was faulty, problem with that was that it was an SCSI drive that are not too readily available, so I went to the local computer fair and purchased a SATA adapter for the PCI slot and installed it along with the software, next we put a SATA DVDRW in the place where the old SCSI one was and connected her up, we then rebooted and tried to burn a disc....and Robert is most definately your Dads brother - success !

Thanks kevcar for the contribution, much appreciated.

Like this post
BEARBEE

Likes # 0

RESOLVED !

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

You have to tick the resolved box,then click the word resolved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......