We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Device manager

par 3

Likes # 0

Just found out that 'nothing' is listed on Device Manager. Can anyone help please???

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Reinstall, that’s a bit dramatic, but I’m glad you sorted it out.

Like this post
par 3

Likes # 0

BurrWalnut. A clean installl done the job.
Many thanks all for your help.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Oh dear, I’ve really run out of ideas.

My final straw-clutchers are to run a startup repair and a repair reinstall, as follows:

1. Boot from the Vista DVD, answer a few questions, navigate to the Repair Option and choose Startup repair (you may have to run it several times).

2. If (1) above doesn’t work, try a Vista upgrade repair reinstall. This gives you a new OS without changing settings, files, folders, other programs and the like click here Read the note regarding SP1 and SP2.

Good luck.

Like this post
par 3

Likes # 0

BurrWalnut. Did as you suggested and file integrity is OK.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

If it’s not a Service and it’s not an infection, the only other thing I can suggest is to run the System File Checker (SFC).

Run it from an elevated Command Prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type sfc /scannow (note the space) and press Enter. This may take some time and, depending upon your installation of Vista, you may have to put the Vista DVD in the drive.

Like this post
par 3

Likes # 0

Plug and play is set on automatic, the system has been scanned etc and still nothing showing

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

You could always click here and try one or both of these solutions , one might work for you .

Ashley

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

It may be another service that isn’t running, go to msconfig > Services Tab and make sure they all have a tick in them. If not, insert one and restart the computer.

If it’s not a ‘service’ problem, it’s possibly malware. Download the free Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from click here

Like this post
par 3

Likes # 0

Hi guys. Plug & Play is set on automatic. Still no joy

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Try this, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services > General Tab. Scroll down to, and double-click the Plug and Play service and make sure it is set to Automatic and that it is running, click OK, etc. and restart the computer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes