We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

installaion key unreadable

conrail

Likes # 0

sons laptop with vista home premium 32 bit hd failed, have replaced hd and borrowed installation disc, unfortunately the key is unreadable on the bottom of the laptop, can someone please suggest options, all help gratefully accepted.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Does the company it was bought from have those details?

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for reply Pine Man, unfortunately it was bought for Christmas 2008 and the company have told me they don't keep those details

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The retailer will not keep those details. The manufacturer might. What discs came with the laptop, was there a recovery partition and were recovery discs created?

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks for reply Woolwell, seller does not keep these details, the laptop did not come with any discs, I have created recovery discs, no recovery partition, unfortunately I have reinstalled wifes laptop with recovery discs, created for her laptop, and I was asked to imput the key, the one thing we don't have, I have looked on microsoft websitefor help but they want £47 just to talk to them, unfortunately I cannot find the box it came in, other boxes from my pc, wifes laptop and printers are all there, I was hoping the key might be on the box, the manual that came with the laptop was installed as a pdf file so can't access that.

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

The key will only be on the sticker on the laptop, not on the box, etc. You might try peeling it off (perhaps use a hairdryer to heat it up and help) and seeing if you can decipher by holding it up to a light. Otherwise you'd be better buying Windows 7 instead of paying M/soft or anyone else. If you're son is in education, you can buy the upgrade version for £43 from click here but I'm not sure it will install if your Vista O.S. isn't validated.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks ame, I will look into your suggestion

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Just a weird thought - I wonder if one of those ultraviolet lights they use to check banknotes in shops might show something up if a normal light doesn't? Worth a try!

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks ame, that is a thought, I will make enquiries to see if any of my friends can help or know someone who works in a shop

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

didn't need key, vista installed from friends disc and when asked to register, as I could not do it online, could not find the network, I dialed the 0800 number imputted the series of numbers from the screen into the phone then typed in the series of numbers received from the phone to the laptop and laptop registered, went onto the manufacturers website on my pc, downloaded the network drivers run drivers on laptop and now everything is up and running

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...