We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Configuring updates on shutdown and updates 3 of

gippingman

Likes # 0

Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista home premium

I have the configuring updates 3 of 3 0% on
startup (which it eventually does) and everytime you shutdown it say configuring updates do not power off and freezes - so I hold power off button til it shuts down - I believe I am not supposed to do this but don't know what else to do. I believe it may be a corrupt update ? - but can't check "installed updates" - to delete updates - as when you access it, the green progress bar freezes at about 95 % - other tasks also have the progress bar freeze at 95% - have also tried F8 to use system restore which temporarily works until shutdown etc - then can't power off etc - vicious circle!!! - advice appreciated

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

You might have problems... I googled this and found,
click here

On any PC a forced shutdown can (not always) corrupt the file system.

Was this the NVidia optional update that caused this ?

No good to you now, but this is where a program such as Acronis TI is so useful.

A reinstall may be required to fix this. Laptops usually have a hidden partition that you can access at boot to reinstall to as it was on day one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen