We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

norton security scan

conrail

Likes # 0

using vista home premium 64bit, switched on pc this moring to find a pop up box asking me to select a browser, as I currently use ie8 I closed the box, then a new box appeared saying 'welcome to norton security scan', I cannot close this box, I have never installed norton as I use other options, clicking ctrl, alt & del, doesn't help as this box does not appear in the list of running programs, clicking uninstall tells me the program is running, the only option appears to be to click on the button that says 'click to get started', I now have to desktoop icons I don't want, one says 'browser choice' the second in the norton security scan, please help me to get rid of this, all help and advice gratefuklly accepted

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

The browser options was an update Microsoft put through a week or so back, something to do with having to offer others as part of competition regulations.
I don't have windows set to update without prompting first so was able to decline and hide the update. Always like to see what's going to be installed first.

Norton... no idea !
Was Norton preinstalled as a trial on your PC... it often is on laptops etc.
Perhaps see if it shows in "control panel" under installed programs and if so download the official removal tool from Symantec (Norton)

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

If there is a desktop shortcut for browser options then just right click and delete it.

Like this post
conrail

Likes # 0

thanks mooley, I have downloaded the norton removal tool and that appears to have cleared it, the icon for the removal tool I have just deleted that, I have also deleted the browser options.
I don't know where the norton option came from, I have not used my pc for a week and it wasn't there when I shut down, I appreciate your help and advice, thank you

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

You are welcome... pleased it helped sort it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad