We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista and Zonealarm

feather39

Likes # 0

I have been using Vista Home Premium and Zonealarm free for my Firewall. Usually Windows Security Centre monitors and says I'm fine as Zonealarm is working properly. For the last couple of days, even though Zonealarm is working correctly I get a balloon come up and say there is no firewall for my computer and to switch on Windows Firewall. I do this but Zonealarm turns this off as it is a second firewall. I don't know why security centre has stopping monitoring Zonealarm for me as I have not changed any settings at all.

When I say I will use alternative firewall, it asks if I want security centre to monitor it but then it just gives me the windows firewall option and not zonealarm.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get Security Centre to monitor Zonealarm again for me or is just a case of telling the centre I'll monitor my firewall myself?

Feather39

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

It sounds as if you might have picked up the rogue Windows Security Center which is malware. Try downloading and installing Malwarebytes (free version) - update and run removing anything it finds.

click here

Like this post
feather39

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply Sea Urchin.

I tried what you suggested but nothing was found at all on my computer with the Malwarebytes program.

However, I have just downloaded and installed a more up to date version of Zonealarm compared to the one I had installed and this has worked. Windows Security Center is now recognising Zonealarm free has my firewall and is not telling me that I don't have a firewall running.

Feather39

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Glad to hear of a successful outcome

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...