We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

always a small window

Phrixos

Likes # 0

Every time I go to save or open a file via the Open command (say, in Word 2007) Vista opens an irritatingly-small small-postcard-sized window, which I invariably have to expand to get sufficiently at the tree. There seems no way of setting a new default-size so I can see, right off, enough of the tree. Or is there? If it exists at all, it likely lives in the bowels of the Windows Registry.

Does anyone know how I can dictate how large the default Open window should be? (I would at least like it to open the full length of my screen.)

Thanks,
Phrixos

Like this post
Phrixos

Likes # 0

Well, whaddaya know. After all these years.

Talk about a foible.

Thanks, Pine Man. And thanks everyone else for chipping in.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Try stretching the window to the size you want it then DO NOT CLOSE IT USING THE 'X' in the top right hand corner.

Close the window from the menu list under File/Exit

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW if you double click on the top taskbar it will automatically open it at maximum size and if you double click it again it will put it back to the smaller default size.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

But on my systems (desktop and laptop) when I have stretched it then it stays like that even after a restart and therefore becomes the default size.

Like this post
Phrixos

Likes # 0

But that's the problem. Why on earth does the window open so small, at all? It's so small, that it is almost inconceivable that any information can be entered in it at that size--which, when you think about it, makes no sense.

Time and again, it takes that little bit of unnecessary effort, concentration, and time, to enlarge the window manually, just as you describe. Is there no way at all to change the default opening size?

To use Microsoft's own words from when it was marketing Vista, "It is a computer!"

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In Office 2007 you can make that window larger. If you move your cursor to the side, bottom or bottom right hand corner you will see a double ended arrow. You can then drag it outwards to create a larger window. Try the bottom right corner as this makes the window larger in proportion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED