We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Slow Boot

endgame2055

Likes # 0

Hey all,

So, the thing is. I've been noticing some disturbing slow changes in the way my Vista boots. Usually, it takes less than 54 seconds for my VAIO VGN-CR laptop to boot Vista OS, but now it takes about 2 minutes to finaly boot the OS.

What really bothers me in that is the fact that I didn't really do anything that might overload the stacks against the OS and made it heavy to boot. I mean, I didn't put more startup applications, I didn't install new programs or drives, I didn't store much files and data in my hard drive and I didn't face any virus or malware problems lately since that changes.

I also should mention that (based on my observation) I didn't face or pass by any slow or hang problem while the OS was starting and working normally. The slowness problem is just with the boot itself I think.

Anyway, I'm really tired of trying to figure out what caused that slow boot in my laptop, and I'm wishing that somebody could help me in this.

*Notes that helpers may need:

1) Ways that I've tried and didn't fix the problem:

- Disabling all unecessary startup applications.
- Disabling some services related to other softwares and applications.
- Uninstalling lots of softwares that I don't need anymore.
- Cleaning my hard drive and saving more space.
- Deleting cookies, temps and other files and data of my own.
- Scanning my whole system for viruses and spywares.
- Running a Highjackthis scan and fixing the problems.
- Running a GetSystemInfo report and fixing the problems.
- Updating any needed drivers to update.
- Restoring my system back to several previous restore points.

2) My short system specifications:

- Laptop Model: Sony VAIO VGN-CR354.
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.10GHz.
- RAM: 2GB.
- Anti-Virus Software: Kaspersky Internet Security 9.0.0.463 (Up-to-date Database).

For More Information, you can browse the GSI report from here:

click here

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Here is my growing list of things that could be responsible for slowing the computer. I’ve removed from the list those items that are obviously not relevant to you, but look through the list and try those that seem appropriate:

2. Insufficient memory (RAM) can slow the system down. A minimum of 2GB is recommended, more if your system can cope with it. Also, SuperFetch preloads into memory the programs and data it expects you to use based on past usage. This does result in quite a lot of disk activity after startup as files are read from disk into memory but it can make a difference to the launch times of frequently used programs where a large amount of RAM is installed. Disable it on systems with less than 2GB of RAM via the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to Superfetch, double-click it and change the Startup type to Disabled and click Stop to immediately turn it off.
4. Turn off Scheduled defragmentation via Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentation. However, every so often you need to check if any disks have become excessively fragmented, which can affect disk performance.
5. If you’re using Windows Defender, stop it from auto-scanning and also check if your antivirus program is scanning at boot time. Both of these can be run when you feel they need to be run, not at every start up.
6. You’ll get a slightly faster start up if you optimise the boot files and applications by running a special defragmentation from an elevated CMD prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type defrag C:\ -b (note the two spaces) and press Enter. Depending upon your computer specification, it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to run.
7. When you have a slow boot, check that no external drives have media in them. If they have, experiment by booting with it inserted and without. If you have a built-in card reader remove the little plastic cover that protects the slot, which can cause a slow down, albeit rarely.
9. To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on or shut down, e.g. an antivirus program, go to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). The problem is sometimes shown on this screen, although you may have to click Advanced tools in the left pane then View performance details in the Event log. If the problem isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 100 series are start up events. There may be a name or reason in the event listing.
10. Although hard disk errors are rare, they can slow up the machine, so it‘s worth spending a bit of time checking. Click Computer > right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check > Properties > Tools Tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
11. To see which tasks are running, open a Run window (Windows key+R), type cmd /k tasklist /svc (note the three spaces) and press Enter. Close the cmd prompt when you have finished viewing it. To get a better description of the associated Service(s), go to Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processes Tab and on a specific Svchost, right-click it > Go to Service(s) to see all the Services, which are highlighted.
Alternatively, use Process Explorer to see which services are running. To see the svchost processes, let the mouse pointer hover over each svchost.exe in the left pane. Download it from click here

Like this post
endgame2055

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick help man, sorry to posting late.

I'm now doing all that you've wrote, just waiting for my defragmenter to finish and then I'll restart to start the error-checking drive tool. All the other points are done :)

I'll be doing sevral restarts after I have done all of what you wrote, and I'll see if there's a change or not. Thanks again and I'll be replying soon.

Like this post
endgame2055

Likes # 0

BurrWalnut:

Thanks again for your reply, it helped me to reduce the boot time from more than (2 minutes) to about (1:25). But I still didn't get the result that I was hoping to get ; at least close to my normal boot time, which was only less than (00:54). Could you help me with any other ideas?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

At least you have made some improvement.

1. Oviously, I don’t know what programs and services you are running, but these can also certainly be disabled on most computers. Go to the Orb > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services and Stop and Disable; FAX, Parental controls, Remote registry, WMP network sharing.

2. Indexing takes a few days to settle down on a new Vista computer. The settings can be changed in Control Panel > Classic View > Indexing Options. However, if you don’t do much internal searching, turn it off completely, look click here

3. You have tried this, but I suggest you go through all the Start up programs again using the free Quick Startup, which is better than Microsoft’s msconfig, get it click here To disable (recommended action) an entry, remove the tick alongside its name. To delete an entry, highlight it and click Delete in the left pane. If you are unsure about an entry and want to know more about it, highlight it and then click ‘More information’ at the bottom of the screen.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Whoops, that should be Obviously.

Like this post
endgame2055

Likes # 0

Thanks, gonna try it today.

No.1 is something that I've tried ; I already disabled all those services and many more that I made sure they don't do anything in my case. I'm gonna see about no.1 and no.3 and post back again.

Like this post
endgame2055

Likes # 0

BurrWalnut:

For the first point, I explained that I already disabled all unnecessary services, so this one is done.

For the second one, I followed the article you gave me and disabled the indexting tasks, and I checked it in control panel, it has been disabled successfully.

For the last point, I really thank you for pointing that out, it turned out that there is a startup entry related to a google toolbar that I deleted a long time ago, and that entry wasn't showing up in msconfig. So I deleted it instead of just disabling it.

I'm gonna check to see if we made another progress and an improvement in reducing the boot time and post back again like always.

If you got any other points that might help, I'll be glad to try them on, too. Thanks.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Step 1
Turn off unnecessary startup programs. To do this click "Start," "Control Panel," open "Windows Defender," click "Tools" and "Software Explorer." Under "Category," choose "Startup Programs" (this should be selected by default), highlight any program in the list on the left by left-clicking on it, and then click "Remove." You should only remove programs that you have installed yourself or understand fully, as some programs are essential to normal computer function.

Step 2
Delete old programs that you do not use. Click "Start," "Control Panel," "Programs and Features," and then double-click on any program to begin the uninstallation process.

Step 3
Defragment your hard drive. Click "Start," "Computer," right-click on any hard drive and select "Properties," click the "Tools" tab, select "Defragment Now," and then click "Defragment Now" again. This process may take several hours to complete.

Step 4
Adjust performance options for best performance. Click "Start," right-click "Computer," select "Properties" and click "Advanced System Properties." Under "Performance," click "Settings," then click the check box next to "Adjust for best performance." Click "Apply" and then click "OK."

for more info click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED