We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internal mem card reader no visible in my computer

martd77

Likes # 0

after installing a buffalo usb external terabyte hard drive my internal memory card reader has disappeared from the "my computer" window so if i insert a memory card nothing happens,if i insert a usb memory stick into the card readers usb port the card reader sees it?

how do i get the card reader to work?

running vista premium 32bit

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Has the usb drive taken control of the drive letter originally assigned to your memory card reader.

You could try going into control panel/Administrative tools/computer Management/Disk Management and see if the card reader is showing but has not been assigned a drive letter.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I lose mine if I do a safe remove but they re-appear on reboot

Like this post
martd77

Likes # 0

brynit
yes i think it has,when looking disc 3(j) is my hp photosmart all in one????

ive got c and k which are internal hd drives
jwhich is the external hd

g which says its mt hp allin one

d and e which are both dvd writers

So its completely disappeared,funny thing is my hp has a memory card reader and that works,surely it shouldnt be listed as a drive in "my computer"

cheers
any help accepted

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

if it shows in Device manager right click uninstall and reboot. Windows should find it and assign drive letters.

Like this post
martd77

Likes # 0

if what shows in device manager?
Everything but my card reader shows in device manager

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You could try disconnecting your USB hard drive and your printer, reboot computer and then see if the the internal card reader is showing.

Like this post
martd77

Likes # 0

done it already,even unplugged the card reader and plugged back in, im gonna buy a new card reader may be faulty,they are after all only cheap,ive had this 2yrs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...