We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help wanted on Windows Vista Explorer command line

Chris Newman

Likes # 0

Please can someone explain exactly what the command line switches in a shortcut to Windows Explorer do, and what their limitations are? I cannot find official Microsoft advice for Windows Vista or XP, whilst I do not fully understand the jargon used to explain the switches for earlier versions of Windows (eg “root level” and “initial focus” in click here). I have experimented with what I think the switches are supposed to do, but I seem to get results that vary depending on the level of the folders referred to in the switches.

In general I want to be able to create a shortcut that will open an Explorer window with a left pane that expands the contents of each folder in the direct path from the highest folder I choose to display, and a right pane that shows the contents of the lowest folder.

Examples of what I would like to create are:

1. On my home computer, running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, I would like to create a shortcut that opens at “Computer” (immediately below “Desktop”, which I rarely use) and extends down to one of our folders within “Documents”. ‘%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,C:\Users\Newman\Documents\Chris documents’ achieves everything I want except that it starts at Desktop, wasting space in the left pane.

2. On my computer at work, running Windows XP, I make extensive use of the contents of the “My documents” folder, and also of a folder deep within a shared external drive. I would like to create a shortcut that would open with paths to both expanded. The best I have achieved so far is ‘%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e,/root,,"V:\BRE Group Businesses\European Unit\1 - Fresh Start" ’. This expands most of the folders on the path to “1 - Fresh Start”, but, annoyingly, the folder other than “1 - Fresh Start” that I most need expanded is “European Unit”, but I need to expand this one manually each time I open Windows Explorer. However, this command line does not expand any path within the C:\ drive, although a few folders such as “My documents” seem to be shown in a detached manner at a high level by default.

With thanks in advance,
Chris Newman

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but I don't fully understand switches etc.

But if you want a shortcut to "Chris documents" on the desktop then right click on the folder and select send to desktop.
You can do the same for European unit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......