We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

+++ mrwoowoo +++

pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Thanks for that advise, done the malware check on another computer I am using and it found 1 infected file!!! I think it was a photo in my USB stick, but the Cc programme (filehippo) that tidies up the registry isnt really free, I loaded it and ran it and it came up with an INCREDIBLE 1116 "errors" it says the PC is "sick" and needs to be cleaned up so it will run properly BUT you only get 25 FREE error corrections and then you are prompted to buy the registration code, obviously i am not going to do this, I think there MUST be a way to clean up the registry and free up more space?? I do a defrag every few months and the "disk clean up" on the C and D drives regularly. Do you think this Cc programme is a bit of a con?? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

That page you printed out mentioned that the malware might well stop you downloading anything, and that you would have to use another computer.

And it might be best to start a different thread about your other Acer in the UK - otherwise this thread is becoming very confused. Try and sort this one out first.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Well, it seems to have done the trick, followed the instruction really closely and we (my computer wizard friend and I) have got rid of the "Personal Security" rogue programme, this friend of mine started by starting the system restore from the day BEFORE I downloaded the rogue programme and after following the link that Sea Urchin sent we deleted the old Malwarebytes programme and the CCleaner prgramme, did the download from RKill.com and then went through it all and Lo and Behold it all seems to have gone, the Malwarebytes programme found only the one infected file (somewhere in C drive) from the Rogue "Personal Security" programme!!! Then after the CCleaner new download we cleaned up the registry on the computer. Finally my friend set up a "restore system" protocol to start from EXACTLY after we did the last Malwarebytes scan. I must thank Sea Urchin for his help profusely!! God Bless Sea Urchin and this terrific PCADVISOR.co.uk site for PCDIMWITS like me!!!!

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Steady - no need for that :@)

Thanks though - glad it seems to be sorted. And contact the forum again when you're back in the UK if you need help with your other Acer.

One more thing - at the bottom of this page you should tick the box and click on Resolved - which puts a green tick against the thread. And on your other thread as well.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Right will do, ended up completing the job with the Rkill.com and Malwarebytes programme at 0615 hours Amsterdam time so just seen this and ticked the "resolved" box, will find the other thread and do it there too, Thanks Again, PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You cannot type anything in the thread when you mark as resolved. Just open the thread, scroll down to the bottom and tick the box and click the Resolved button. That's it. :@)

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Have you worked out how to tick as resolved yet?

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

well, I must admit it seems difficult cos I have just ticked the "resolved" box here and I dont know if it makes a difference??? I do find all these forums difficult to navigate, i.e. they tell you now to contact someone off the forum, despite there being an "envelope" icon next to the persons name, I did get the CClean programme OK in the end but thats another thing that is so "misleading" an ENORMOUS banner on the right side which naturally makes you think "Oh, here it is" whereas the FREE programme is in much smaller letters on the right, I suppose that is a marketing ploy to get you to buy the programme, but anyway with Seaurchin's help I would NEVER have managed to get this virus problem sorted, EXCELLENT, thanks all at this forum!! from a "True" PCDIMWIT!!!

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Sadly you still haven't done it :@)

As I said above you cannot write anything on the thread at the same time as resolving - if you still have the Resolve box at the bottom of the thread then you haven't succeeded in doing it properly.

Just open the thread - scroll down and put a tick in the box - then click on the Resolved button. Nothing else.

What it does is puts a green tick against your thread on the Windows Vista list, and as you see you have no green arrows on either of your threads at the moment.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I ticked the box and clicked on "resolved" has it appeared OK now??

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more