We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to remove an Item from Programs and Features?

polymath

Likes # 0

It's a redundant bit of software from my Epson PX700W all-in-one printer. Uninstall/Change brings up a box with the printer model & version, a Cancel button that works, and an OK button that doesn't. (I can't see a delete option in Programs and Features).

I have printing problems with my notebook (using Vista Home Premium SP2), and a reinstall is next step. I've uninstalled the printer, deleted it from Control Panel\Printers, then (with Windows Explorer) gone through all likely folders on the hard disk and deleted all instances of Epson software I could find (even though it'll mean also reinstalling a seperate scanner, also an Epson!). But the item in Programs and Services, called Epson PX700W Series Uninstall, won't budge.

I just wanted to eliminate the possibility of duplicate files leading the reinstallation astray. The item dates from the printer's first install. For all I know, it might be what scuppered a first attempt at reinstalling it the other day. The printer itself is fine, as it works with my desktop (same OS).
Perhaps if I could view the file somewhere else, I could delete it (or at least rename it). Using Dos would be no problem, but I can't find any path and don't know which directory(s) to look in. (I turned off Windows Indexing when setting up the laptop, and my Copernic Desktop Search only seems to find documents etc).

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Re-install the software and then download and install Revo Uninstaller. The free version is O.K. click here Run Revo and use it to uninstall the software and it will usually find all references to the program, including registry entries, and give you the opportunity to remove them. You will find quite a few recommendations for this un-installer on this forum.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Thanks canarieslover! I feel a bit of an idiot; I was aware of programs like Revo etc when I was using 98SE. But amongst all the fun of adjusting from that to Vista, I kind of forgot about them!
I'll try that in the morning.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Connection down this morning, so couldn't get Revo. Went ahead with the install anyway, and the printer's now working (touch wood).
The old Epson item is still there in Programs & Features, but doesn't seem to be causing any problem so far.
It looks as if the 1st reinstall attempt failed because I downloaded the latest Epson drivers, but couldn't find any instructions for installing them, and probably opened the files in the wrong order. I used the CD this time (& made a note of the install sequence).

I've downloaded Revo now, and will install it as soon as I've found out how to.

I'll report back if I get rid of that old file.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Have a look at CCleaner. This software is favoured on the forum and will uninstall as well as clean.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Thanks peter99co - you've reminded me to try another utility I'd forgotten about!.
I downloaded CCleaner, which installed straight away on opening. It deleted that old printer file for me, so this question's resolved.

The printer started playing up again this morning, but it's been ok so far since trying CCleaner. I don't know if that old file was the problem, because while exploring CCleaner I also did its Registry scan and it fixed a few issues. (And it was nice to tidy up the Startup list; no more scrolling through all those unwanted preloaded apps I disabled!).

Thanks again for both responses!

Like this post
redlabbey

Likes # 0

There are two ways to resolve this:
1.Utilize the Windows Install Clean Up utility.
But be care for, the Windows Install Clean Up utility does not remove
the files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer.
2.Remove the Windows Registry items by hand.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AFD5020D-65CE-4C4D-B6D8-6AAC29A4A95C}].
click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...