We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Restoring Files from complete back -up (HELP)

levyo1

Likes # 0

Hi All I have done a complete vita reinstall after I had a problem,So I have a Dell inspirion 530s with vista home premium.I did a full back up to my external hard drive as it says in the Dell manual.Now her is the bit that's driving me mad,After the install I did my updates drivers windows updates, etc. and a complete restore back to my os c-drive but when I click on my start button the programmes are not there,but when I go into my computer os c-drive I can clearly see them but I am unable to access them or they will not re load.When I go into different forums etc. I can't seem to find the answer so I am here why can I see the files but the os can't.Please Please help.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

How was your back-up made on the external drive? Did you use imageing software like Acronis, or did you just copy the contents of C: to your external drive? From your description of your problem it appears that you have re-installed Vista and just restored files from your back-up. This does not re-install the progranms themselves because it omits all the keys that they write to the registry when they are installed properly. If it was a back-up from a program like Acronis you would not have had to re-install Vista, just booted from your recovery disk and then selected the back-up you wanted to re-install. That would have left your system working in exactly the same way as it was when the back-up was made. I'm afraid that you will now have to re-install your progs. from original CD's to get them to work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015