We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Experiences with W7

sputnick

Likes # 0

After being impressed with W7 RC I took the plunge and did a clean install of W7 64bit version, having previously used XP for many years.
Install was effortless all internet services worked without having to install Sky broadband software.
Once I found my way arround W7 I was very pleased.
Downside my Canon scanner was not compatible with 64 bit O/S. Bought a new release scanner only to find W7 drivers not included and have to be dowloaded from Canon Site.
Looking through canon downloads there are quite a few products without drivers available.
In fact the very new Canon EOS7D SLR still hasn`t got drivers available for 64bit.
Also had to change my Adobe photoshop elements to version 8.
So beware it might cost you more than you first thought especially with 64bit. You only get 30 days to activate, and I assume that once you do activate you can`t change to the 32 bit if you bought the retail version with both 32, and 64 bit discs

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

There is no reason why you cannot subsequently uninstall 64bit and install the 32bit version.

You will be asked to reactivate and it may be declined online but through a phone activation and answering that it is only installed on one machine will result in an activation code being forthcoming.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Did you actually try Vista 64bit drivers?

Like this post
fuchsia

Likes # 0

I have a new pc w7 64 bit. It will not recognise my canon MP110 printer.When I connect I get the message driver not present
I have downloaded a driver(eppexwin306.en.ex) from the canon website but still no go.
When I try to add a printer the list does not contain the MP110 model and the update search starts at MP140.This doesn't work either.
Suggestions please.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You should not hijack someone elses thread with your own problem.

It is much better to start a new thread.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You should not hijack someone elses thread with your own problem.

It is much better to start a new thread.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have w7 64 bit and also had to download MP 610 Canon drivers. Photoshop CS4 installs in both 32 and 64 bit versions. I found that on the Canon scanner (and Adobe confims this for all scanners) you have to use 32 bit to use the Twain scan interface- the 64 bit will only use the WIA interface.I imagine Elements will have to be "told" to work in 32 bit.I had to buy Acronis True image 2010. So far other software workin and I would like to stay with 64 bit to use 4 Gig RAM.

Like this post
fuchsia

Likes # 0

Sorry Bremner

Like this post
sputnick

Likes # 0

It might be a good idea if PCA could contact vendors on behalf of its readers to get some sort of concensus on how their products are, have been, or will be affected by Windows 7 systems, especially 64bit version.
Just out of curiousity I went into a couple of PC World stores today and asked if W7 drivers were supplied with new hardware, most staff said they were, some said they should be and one said that 64 bit made no difference.
Comet seemed to be better informed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...