We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstalling programmes from backup after W7 insta

redeyenewby

Likes # 0

I have just installed W7 on my laptop having first backed up my software to DVD. I used a "custom" install which presumably has overwritten Vista on my laptop. The laptop is very new and only has 2007 Office and Norton plus 3 internet downloads. These are now on my DVD with the rest. To restore the programmes do I just open up the DVD in Win explorer and install bearing in mind that they seem to have a lot of stuff in each folder presumably appertaining to each specific programme. Further will Norton reinstall from the backup or, if I install from the Norton disc will it install (knowing it is not an extra computer). Hope I'm clear. Chinese proverb asking a question makes one a fool for 5 minutes - not asking makes you a fool forever. Thanks you guys. You will always come up trumps.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

If you mean you just copied the already installed program files from your vista setup to dvd then , no you won't be be able to just just copy those files back to you Win 7 system and expect it tow work. What you need is the installation file and run that to re-install the prpgram. You'll also need the licence details. As PC makers rarely supply set up discs these days only a utility on the hard drive to restore your system to factory settings I don't think you'll be able to do what you want I'm afraid.

Open Office is a good alternative to MS Office and is free click here

There are other free anti-virus programs out there too such as Avast or MS Security essentials that would replace Norton.

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Thank you Mike, The backup disk internet download programmes loaded successfully. I loaded Office 2007 and Norton from the supplied DVD and they are alright. I am going to try Virtual PC next to see if Virtual XP is available. Most of my stuff will run on Vista but I need to get XP so I can still use them. Thanks again for your help.

Like this post
MIke

Likes # 0

Glad you had a backup DVD with the installation files on!

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Mike, I have found that my laptop will not support "visualization" so I cannot download "Virtual XP". I shall have to look into PC Advisor Helproom to see what is needed. Thank you for your help. Warning! It would appear that, although Microsoft say you can download Virtual XP from the internet when you have Vista installed yhe industry doesn't appear to give a warning on which laptops/PCs are capable of doing it. So, if you are thinking of getting a computer with Vista loaded expecting to be able to download Virtual XP from the internet ask the question first. Cheers. P>S> To administrator. I hope I have not breached any protocol with this suggestion/warning. Please advise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...