We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

File transfer from dell xp to new hp windows 7 64

willy boy

Likes # 0

I have just purchased a new HP pavilion pc with 64 bit windows 7. I would like to transfer as many files (photos, excel and word files as well as outlook emails and contacts) as possible to the new pc. I understand I cannot transfer programs but I have Microsoft Office Pro 2003 on disc. Should I install office on the new pc first? Has anyone used Windows 7 easy transfer and the recommended cabling? The new HP has a 640 gig harddrive that has a recovery partition, should I also partion this drive prior to installing programs. My 32 bit xp Dell has 2 hard drives, C: with programs, E: with data. I also connect to the internet by max 1mb. broadband with tiscali. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Not an expert, but I recently installed W7 64bit - previously on XP- on a smaller HD. I partitioned my HD - total 320 gig into 50 gig for system, balance for data (I had C; for programmes and F: for data before)W7 has an "index" system that gathers info as to where files are, so I would suggest you copy the E: data to an external HD, then copy it in to the data partition of W7 - then "tell" W7 where to find music etc. I would install programmes first . I use pipex (tiscali) - W7 does not support Outlook express so had to get help to switch to Outlook 2007 - but you can get Windows mail. Do look up via Google how to transfer settings for e mail etc.

Like this post
willy boy

Likes # 0

John, many thanks for your timely response. I had considered purchasing an external drive as the easy transfer cable appears to cost circa £30 and will presumaably only be used once assuming all goes well!!! Any suggestions as to which program to use to partition hard drive?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am not an expert but if you go into "Disk Management" there is a useful help index. I had an easier free partition manager on XP32 bit but I thin that you have to pay for 3rd party partitioning with 64 it. An external HD will be very useful for keeping back ups of both partitions - if you can stretch to it I would reccomend Acronis True Image 2010. Maybe others will be more specific.

Like this post
willy boy

Likes # 0

John, many thanks for your help and info, all is well I used the belkin easy transfer cable and will be purchasing an external HD soon for backups etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous