We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stuff thats works with Windows 7 64 bit.

gengiscant

Likes # 0

I decided to go with windows 7 64 bit as I was having problems with my ram in my new build and as it is an i5 machine I wanted a decent amount of memory. So far every thing I have installed has work perfectly except one item, I thought folks would like to know what I have installed so far and the item I had problems with. I will add to the post as time goes by and I add more and more software/hardware. Feel free to add your own lists and hopefully it will help others.

GAMES.

Farcry (the original).
Halflife 2.
Borderlands.
Shellshock 2.
Fallout 3.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chenobyl.
Call of Duty. Modern Warfare 2.

SOFTWARE.

Ispell.
picassa.
Revo installer.
Itunes. (64 bit version).
Flash Player.
Quicktime.
Steam.
Goodsync.
Office 2007.
Magic Iso.
Firefox.
Turbolister.
Roboform.
Adobe Reader 9.
7zip.
Utorrent.
Epson copying utility.

HARDWARE.

Epson DX4400 PRINTER/SCANNER/COPIER.
HTC Tattoo phone.
Fuji Finepix j38 camera.
Aiptek AHD 720 video camera.
Canon Selphy DS810 Photo printer.
Saitek Eclipse 111 Keyboard.
Mionix Saiph 3200 mouse.
Hiyatek external usb drive.
3 Sandisk Cruzer USB sticks which I had to get a 64 bit driver for them to work.But if anything else is plugged in to another usb port at the front they still do not work.A niggle not a problem.
Thats about it for now,I will try and add to the list at least once a week.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Software:
Photoshop CS4 64 and 32 bit
Roxio Creator 2010
Acronis True Image 2010
Superantispyware (some issues re drivers)
Malawarebytes
Avira
Hardware:
Canon MP640 (need to download drivers rather than use CD)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Copytrans (for my ipod).
Acronis True image 9.
Coretemp.
CPU-Z.
Prime95.
Winaso.
7Zip (64bit).
Ccleaner.
Malwarebytes.
SIW.
PDFXViewer.

Like this post
mosfet

Likes # 0

To put in my postings thanks.

Like this post
Eargasm

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Acronis True Image 9 Are you sure ? As i understand ( and i could well be wrong) version 9 is not compatable with windows7. Can you confirm that it works OK ? Thanks

Like this post
Eargasm

Likes # 0

Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

Pro Show Producer 4

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I had cloned my hard drive a couple of weeks ago a will admit that I had not tested the clone to see if it was successful before posting Acronis True Image 9 as working.
I have just done so and can confirm that it works fine,the cloned drive booted just fine.

I not sure that Acronis is necessary now as windows 7 comes with backup software I believe.

Like this post
AlanHo

Likes # 0

I was unable to get Acronis 9 working on my Windows 7 32 bit computer. It would take a back-up but not restore properly.

Perhaps it depends on the hardware spec whether it works or not...............

Like this post
gartoy

Likes # 0

The above doesnt work, interesting how Gengiscant succesfully installed the previous Stalker game.

I had "unsupported operating system" when attemping to install on W7 64 bit

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

gartoy, try installing AND running it in Compatibility Mode click here. If it installs successfully, perhaps apply all the patches (updates) before attempting to launch it for the first time.

It does work with Win 7 apparently - see click here where a few have been using it successfully (they don't mention 32/64-bit though).

gengiscant, many thanks for doing this :-)). I'm glad you took up my suggestion from another thread click here. G

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry folks, I have made a mistake with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It is 'Clear Sky' that I have installed and am playing, not 'Chenoble'. The game has been fully patched and plays very well.

I also note I should have perhaps mentioned my hardware setup in original post so here it is:

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Platinum XTC Triple Channel Memory Kit CL7 1.65V
550W OCZ Fatal1ty Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L Motherboard
1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD
BX80605I5750 - Intel Core i5 750, S 1156, Lynnfield, Quad Core
Xigmatek Midgard case
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Quiet Intel CPU Cooler
Mionix Saiph 3200 gaming mouse
Saitek Eclipse 111 keyboard
windows 7 64 bit

The only bit of software recently is Videora ipod converter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia