We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with BSOD and Grey screen

carver

Likes # 0

Been trying to get Windows 7 64bit to work properly now for about 3 weeks with little success.

Main problems are random BSOD and occasionally a Grey screen, one other problem is the mouse pointer will for no reason go from normal size to large.

This is a new build apart from the hard drive which I kept from my old system, every thing is new.

Mobo / Gigabyte P55-UD4

4GB of Crucial memory

Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB

Corsair 750w PSU

Intel® Core i5 - Socket 1156

500GB Samsung hard drive

This is driving me barmy just trying to figure out what is wrong, system restore half the time will not work, gives unspecified error occurred(0x000022) whatever that is.

CPU is running at 35c, graphic card is running at 40c, nothing is overclocked, got latest drivers for card.

While the mouse pointer is at normal size I can play games but if I try to play games when the pointer has increased in size then it's like trying to play in treacle every thing appears slow.

I am now at the stage of thinking about ditching Windows 7 and going back to XP, at least that worked, so is there any body who can save me from going stark raving mad from frustration.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

do you have the latest graphic drivers ,from click here they are dated 17th December so are the latest .your problem is almost certain to be driver or setup related .and is not a problem with windows 7 that I have come across.
check your settings ,many modern graphic cards adapt and set the resolution to optomize for whatever game is being played .

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

are you sure all your drivers & software are w7 64bit compatible.[try reinstall of software stages to eliminate any conflict]

run memtest86 to check no faults in your new ram.

graphics card in firmly, also all leads.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

As far as I know all software is 64 bit, have latest drivers, installed them yesterday, 10 mins later GREY SCREEN, had to reset PC to get it to respond.

I've gone as far as reinstalling windows 7 about 4 times, first time had a raid 1 setup and thought that might be the problem, so took the raid off and reinstalled onto a brand new hard drive which failed 24 hours later, so reinstalled onto the old hard drive and been very selective over the soft ware I have put on.

Think I'll have to run another memory test to see if that shows any thing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data