We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 permissions

kimtrnc

Likes # 0

I am the sole user of my PC. I am an administrator. & will not allow me to change a pssword file. Any ideas, please?

TIA

( I will get to love 7, I will get to love 7, I WILL get to love 7)

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

I don’t know what you mean by ‘Password’ file but try taking ownership by right-clicking the folder, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ and Apply > OK. You will only have the ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ box for folders not files. Click Yes when you receive the Security pop-up window then click OK to the Close/Reopen message. Make a note of the previous owner in case you want to change it back.

Now go back to the Properties > Security Tab. Click Edit > Add. Type in your User Account Name in the box under Enter the objects name to select. Click on Check Names > OK. Click on your User Account Name to highlight it. Check the box for Full Control > Apply and OK etc.

Like this post
kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Thankyou Burr - I will try those carefully made instructions. The particular password file belongs to an open source vpn program which lives in the Config file and saves me having to login everytime I use the program.
Will report back if/when your clever instructions succeed.

Like this post
kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Thankyou Burr - I will try those carefully made instructions. The particular password file belongs to an open source vpn program which lives in the Config file and saves me having to login everytime I use the program.
Will report back if/when your clever instructions succeed.

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten

For more information regarding lost passwords please visit the Knowledge Base Article below:
click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today