We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removing Vista in order to reinstall Vista

nsmith17

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,

I want to remove everything from my computer, wipe it totally clean and reinstall Vista from the installation disk, and I've been having some problems.

I first tried booting the disk from the desktop, and when it asked me which partition I'd like to use (I only have the one) I chose the one that the current VIsta install is on, thinking it would overwrite it, wiping out all those files. But its telling me I don't have enough disk space to do that (theres only about 10 gb left of harddrive space).

So then I changed the boot sequence and rebooted directly from the Vista disk, thinking from there I could delete the partition and reinstall. But the only options it gives me are to do a system restore or restore from a backup.

So basically I just want to completely wipe everything off my computer, then insert the Vista disk and install Vista. I have everything I need already backed up on an external. Can anyone tell me how to delete my entire OS?

Thanks,
Nick

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Some people ask a question never to be heard of again.
Unless he hasn't managed to reinstall yet, so therefore can't answer.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Would be nice to know if the problem was resolved.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Should have said it will delete and repair as a normal Vista Disk.

If you ever want to see your drive info go to Start, Right Click Computer, Manage, Disk Management.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Does it say its a full version or OEM version of Vista on the Disk.
My Disk gives me the same options as yours but its called (Vista Recovery) Vista is installed on a separate partition on the hard drive as its a licensed copy only.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Its usually very easy,just boot from the cd and follow instructions.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Does this help at all?
click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......