We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Please save me Wireless Network adapter

napple

Likes # 0

I am going utterly insane :0( We have 3 comps in our house all on windows xp pro which has been marvlous, 1 wired connection, 2 wireless adapters. We bought a new computer for my son a Acer with windows 7 which absolutely refused to connect to the internet via wireless linksys adapter we tried installing all sorts of drivers and fixes but no luck then to cap it off the comp kept freezing and refusing to shut down so we took it back to Comet and got a replacement. This one although not freezing refuses to connect using a new card bought a belkin usb adapter even though we have uploaded all sorts of drivers etc. We have given up trying to get the Linksys wireless adapter to work and are trying desperately to find a wireless adapter card which works with windows 7. It was my 14 year old sons birthday on Nov 27th he has not had a computer connection since due to the problems we are having with windows 7 and geting it into the internet, PLEASEEEEE can someone tell me a wireless card that actually works with windows 7 and would be suitable for him for gaming on his xbox which is connected to his pc for wireless connection before i throw this windows 7 comp out the window.

Like this post
napple

Likes # 0

so if its the first version the v1 does that mean it won't work with the windows 7 and how do i work out which version it is.
I just looked at argos there version does not even mention which version it is?

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

should say on box or inside what version,as i say the v2 has been out for a long time.there is no update for the v1,the link i gave is for the v2.the v2 has been on sale for at least 12 months.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

If you are getting nowhere try an Edimax. I have 3 working perfectly with W7 64 bit and a BT broadband router with Wireless 'n'. Most reputable online stores sell them

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I should add it it is an USB dongle but they come in various speeds and are simple to set up with W7

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

also found this if your linksys is the wusb54g version 4 click here

Like this post
napple

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies i'll soon know tomorrow. Just a little thought this item is being sold in argos now presumably argos will have the newer v2 version which does work and they look identical right?

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

if your linksys is the version 4 then you could rig the pc up by ethernet and you may get a windows update for your wireless adapter.seems this person got an update for theirs click here

Like this post
napple

Likes # 0

hi tigertop2 i hope you come back and see this message which Edimax are you using?
The adapter/dongle arrived today its in a brown refurbished box there is no way of knowing what version it is :0( i'm so fed up and if i open it i can't send it back :0( this is proving to be an absolute nightmare :0( i'm so utterly fed up he has been without his comp/xbox connection now since his birthday 27th of nov this is an absolute joke i wish i'd never bought the sodding computer.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

the version 2 has been on sale for a long time now like i say.but i would have thought it would have v2 on the box somewhere.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Hi napple

The Edimax I am using for W7 64bit is this

click here

In case that does not get you there it is the Edimax EW-7711UTn

No problems at all with it on wireless n -my PC found it immediately

Hope this works for you

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014