We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Defragging external HD in W7 64 bit

john bunyan

Likes # 0

Just changed from XP to W7 64 bit. My data is backed up in an external USB HD. When I used to (with MS XP defrag) defragment it, because I often deleted stuff and replaced it, defrag took a while and I could follow progress. I did actually drop this drive, but it seems to be working ok, with all folders visible ad accessable. However when I attempt defragging, it seems to stop at "Pass 1" 1% consolidated. In "My computer" it shows as 0% fragmented, but this is hard to believe. Any views? Does Defraggler (Piriform) work in W 7 64 bit; is it worth obtaining it?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Anyone with views?

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

Hi JB....different Defrag engines have varied methods in the way they analyze disk sectors/blocks etc:
Dropping the drive could have a bearing on the scan output you are seeing as this could be down to the read heads not traversing across the platters correctly..My advice is to try Auslogics Disk defrag..Its' a well behaved defragger and you can get it from click here .The Auslogics home site was under maintainance an hour or so ago and not available.
Try running a defrag with Auslogics (It's W7 and 64Bit capable) If you still get Defrag "read errors" the "Drive Drop" may have shook things up a bit too much..The tolerances between "Read Head" and Disk Platter are very fine and easily upset...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks, Sonyboy, as usual. I will try Auslogics. The drive seems readable ok and I wonder if W 7 needs less? Anyway I have a second external HD which I will use as a back up as well in case the dropped one packs up.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks, it did work. I suspect that I was a bit impatient with the Win 7 defragger - it was running slow, and due to the lack of information (I liked the progress report in XP) I got impatient and stopped it. Also I dislike the auto back up in W 7 which compounded the problem as it started as I was defragging the external drive where the W7 back up is stored. I prefer to do my own back ups etc with ATI 2010. I will use Auslogics defragger in future as it gives a more visual progress report.

Like this post
sonyboy

Likes # 0

You're welcome JB...glad it worked o/k !

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

• Step 1 Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security. Under the Administrative Tools Section, Click on Defragment your hard drive.
• Step 2 The Disk Defragmenter will open. To run a Disk Defragment on a schedule, click on "Configure schedule..." To manually defragment your hard drive or hard drives, skip to Step 4.
• Step 3 You can schedule the Disk Defragmenter to run on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. However, you aren't likely to see any benefit running a defrag any more than once per month.

Choose a frequency, day, and time and click "OK."

• Step 4 To manage your disk defragment manually, click to select the disc or discs under "Current status" that you'd like to defrag, and then click "Analyze Disk.
• Step 5 After the Disk Analysis is complete, Windows 7 will indicate if a defrag is recommended. Check the fragmentation percentage under "Last Run." If it is higher than 10%, running a disk defrag is recommended.

Click "Defragment Disk."
• Step 6 The Disk Defragment process can take a few minutes to a few hours depending on the size of your drive and the degree to which it is fragmented.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks