We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

recovery problem.

Computer Nut

Likes # 0

I am getting desperate, having installed Win 7. I am having problems which I thought had been resolved but has not. I now find that having decided to return my system to the copy I took prior to installing Win7. I used Acronis True Image 10 to take a clone copy of my entire drive onto an external drive, my problem now is that when I try to recover it I cannot. I find the drive it is on and it seems to be there but to go any further the option is greyed out.It could be me as I have not done this before. Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Normally with Acronis True Image you would create an *IMAGE* (a .TIB file) of your C drive in the external drive. You can then boot with the Acronis CD (or Recovery Media you created) and restore that image to your PC's hard drive.

If you've actually "cloned" your PC's hard drive, can you boot with Acronis Recovery Media and then "clone" the external hard drive back to the PC's hard drive?

Let's hope that works but, in future, you should create a backup image of your hard drive instead of cloning it. A hard drive is normally cloned either because you suspect it is in imminent danger of failing or because you want to replace it with a larger drive. Also, by creating an image file in the external drive, the drive can still be used for storing other files.

Like this post
Computer Nut

Likes # 0

thanks for your response mgmcc, I have'nt tried your suggestion yet, as i have a question,if I clone the external drive onto my C drive will it override whats on there or will I still have Wins 7 still there, if it is how do i get rid of it. Hope this is not a silly question. this is so annoying as I have upgraded to all the previous O/S's (on different machines) over the years and never had a problem. Also the win 7 Advisor did not give me any reason not to upgrade. many Thanks JCB

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you "clone" your external drive back to the PC's internal drive, the internal drive will be an *exact* copy of the external one - that's what a "clone" is.

After cloning back successfully, there will be no trace of the Windows 7 installation.

Like this post
Computer Nut

Likes # 0

I tried your suggestion but sadly it hasn't worked, I now do not have a working computer and unfortunately my disc to take the computer to factory condition will not work either. thanks for trying to help though, I need to get someone who can hopefully get my computer up and running again. all this aggro because i wanted Window 7 which I certainly liked but for the fact that there seemed to be a conflict between my printer and Graffic card,which both had Win 7 drivers. My system is only 9mths old so was up to standard to beable to upgrade to Windows 7. which is annoying, luckily i have a spare computer to beable to let you know. regards JCB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen