We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transfer cloned drive?

kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Ok, bitten the bullet - bought new W7 machine (previously used XP). I am struggling with so many new ways of doing things(life was so much easier with a Vic 20!!) - expect a lot of questions. Main prob: getting stuff off old machine tand on to new, I cloned my old hard drive onto external hard drive.

Can I just copy this onto 7, and will this also enter relevant registry entries, please?

Or maybe I should just dual boot?
TIA Kim

PS anyone yet brought out Idiot's Guide to Win 7?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You can copy your "documents" from the cloned copy of your XP drive, i.e. Word processor files, Spreadsheet files, Music, Pictures, Videos etc. What you cannot copy are 'programs'; these must be reinstalled from the original installation media - CD, DVD, downloaded installation file.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

There is a "files and settings transfer wizard" in XP which will help you to round up your data from the old PC and transfer it to the new PC using a home network or an external USB drive ETC ,remember to export your email address book and messages and your favourites links into a folder and include them also

cheers HC

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like you just switched from XP to W7 (I did run a dual boot XP /W7 for a couple of weeks.) What I would do is to partition new drive to, say 50 or so gig for system files (W7, programmes etc) and the balance of your drive as a data drive. In my case they are C: and F:. Then I just copied my old XP "My Documents" folder into the new F: drive. You can "tell" W7 Libraries where your stuff is - it wont import them , its just an index.Plus the stuff TOSH mentions. In my case swtiched e mail from Outlook Express to Outlook 2007 as OE not supported by W7.There is, in Smiths a mag " Handbook of Windows 7" - not sure if it is detailed enough though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback