We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 is at top of the dung heap, Here's Why?

M@rk

Likes # 0

1. My internet keeps dropping out. I have a belkin wireless adapter that keeps being disabled for reasons I am unaware.
2. I have a sandisk 16GB usb zip drive that does the same. I start using the drive and halfway through it stops responding and the only way to get either of them working again is to reboot the PC.
3. My external USB hard drive. I start using the drive and halfway through it stops responding.
4. My Sony Camera when connected via USB also. I start using it and halfway through it stops responding.
5. When any of the above happen the computer fails to restart, it hangs on shutting down and has to be a hard reset.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The common factor is clearly the USB port(s).

What have you tried in order to fix the problem?

Like this post
M@rk

Likes # 0

Nothing as i don't have a clue where to start?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Is this a desktop or laptop as this sounds like a power management issue

Like this post
M@rk

Likes # 0

Its a Desktop, Sory it took a while to get basck as my internets been playing up

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Some machines have a power option setting that shuts down the USB after a period of no data transfer.

Go into your settings and check this is not the case for you. (Control Panel>Power Options)

What operating system is installed.

Like this post
M@rk

Likes # 0

so has my spelling???

Like this post
M@rk

Likes # 0

windows 7

Like this post
M@rk

Likes # 0

I can't find power option in the control panel

Like this post
M@rk

Likes # 0

on reflection it can't be shutting down as the internets via a usb wireless adapter, and the other items are being used then they stop working halfway through data transfares etc.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change adbanced power settings > USB Settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting > Disable

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days