We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where to save easy transfer file?

Mike@#36

Likes # 0

OK I have ordered my copy of Windows 7 to upgrade my desktop which is currently XP. I need to save the Easy Transfer File somewhere and have another older PC running XP that is hard wired into the router (as is my current desktop)

Question is, after installing W7 will I be able to 'see' the old XP machine through the router in order to bring the transfer file back? I use this old PC as a backup location so it already contains all my files so It would be useful to be able to get everything back.

Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Windows 7 can be networked with XP (via your router) and if the folder is "shared" in XP, it will be accessible from Win 7.

Like this post
Mike@#36

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc, I shall make sure everything is shared on the old PC before upgrading. Plan is to replace the old PC with some NAS and use it for back up of the desk top and the kids' laptops.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014