We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

win7 and xpmode

Auldman

Likes # 0

Hi all
i've got win7 professional dual-booted with vista.
when i switch on xpmode to play a game called steel panthers world at war i get an error message DirectDraw Initilization error #-21477263. this has never happened when i played it in my old xp pc. does anyone know what this means and can they help me to fix it.
one other question - i read that microsoft is stopping support for xp in 2014 does this also
apply to xpmode in win7?
yours aye
Auldman

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

Windows 7 XP Mode
1. In order to utilize this tool you are required to have following hardware on your machine.
Memory: 2GB of memory recommended.
Hard disk requirement: 20MB hard disk space for installing Windows Virtual PC. Additional 15GB of hard disk space per virtual Windows environment recommended.
Processor: Processor capable of hardware virtualization, with AMD-V™ or Intel® VT turned on in the BIOS.
2. Enable hardware virtualization in BIOS.
3. Next, you’ll need to install two software packages on your PC:
• Install the Windows Virtual PC, which is the virtualization software that powers “XP Mode”.
• Install the Windows XP Mode, which is a specially crafted XP virtual machine.
4. Once you’ve completed those steps and restarted your computer, run the Virtual Windows XP item in the start menu, add in a password and make sure to choose to remember the credentials if you want the integration features to work smoothly.
5. Once the wizard is complete, you will see a dialog that sets up XP for use.
6. Install your Windows 7 application in Windows XP.
7. Once your Windows 7 application are installed and shortcuts are in the All Users start menu, they will show up in the Windows 7 start menu under the Windows Virtual PC -> Virtual Windows XP Applications folder.
Microsoft is targeting mainly small businesses with the XP Mode feature, but larger businesses may also need to run older applications. For bigger firm the company has a product called MED-V that allows control over things like who can install programs on their machines and other management issues.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...