We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

win7 and xpmode

Auldman

Likes # 0

Hi all
i've got win7 professional dual-booted with vista.
when i switch on xpmode to play a game called steel panthers world at war i get an error message DirectDraw Initilization error #-21477263. this has never happened when i played it in my old xp pc. does anyone know what this means and can they help me to fix it.
one other question - i read that microsoft is stopping support for xp in 2014 does this also
apply to xpmode in win7?
yours aye
Auldman

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Try running the program in Compatibility Mode use Windows XP Service Pack 2 / 3

and tick “Run this Program as an administrator”

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If you are useing 7 Pro have you not installed the XP section and run in that

Like this post
Auldman

Likes # 0

hi ambra4 and sharpamat
thank you for your replies.i checked the ver of xpmode and its sp3. i tried all the varying methods in compatibility mode and made myself the adminisrator but still get the error message.
yours aye
Auldman

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Try re-installing your video card drivers or updating them.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have Win 7 Ult but the Proper XP mode simulation cannot be loaded on my particular motherboard / processor set up. There are articles on this in all the latest PC magazines. You can, as ambrae says , tell the programme to run in a former version (XP, Vista,etc)

Like this post
Auldman

Likes # 0

hi Pine Man and john bunyan
i have updated my graphics card drivers and have tried varying methods on compat mode also running xpmode as an administrator to no avail. john bunyan can you name a particular PC mag re this problem
yours aye
Auldman

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a look at this MS site and download to see if your system is suitable:
click here
Mine was not. However you can still tell programmes to run as if they were in XP.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

One magazine (in Smiths) is " The Essential Windows 7 handbook" (PC Utilities). Pages114 - 115 cover this issue. In W7 Control Panel there is an option labelled " Run Programmes Made for Previous Versions of Windows" It gives a guide on how to configure the older programmes.I had a dual boot XP and W7 for a few weeks but have now got rid of XP, with some nostalgia (Kept an ATI Image of XP just in case!) I wanted 64 bit to use more RAM, but am not a gamer.

Like this post
Auldman

Likes # 0

hi john bunyan
i already have xpmode on my pc but xpmode doesn't allow me to play spwaw although i could play the game on my old xp pc.
i will try and get the handbook tomorrow and see how i get on then
your aye
Auldman

Like this post
Lee.C

Likes # 0

Apologies if I've misunderstood but when you say 'XP Mode' do you mean the full version of XP that runs inside Windows 7 Pro (via Virtual PC)?

If so, you're unlikely to get anything more than the most basic 2D games working there as it can't make use of your real graphics card and instead uses a software version of a 'very' old graphic chip that can't do directdraw, direct3D or anything else that's required by most commercial games.

Your better bet it to try and install the game in Windows 7 but run it using compatibility mode.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback