We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 install on new unformatted drive

lhman

Likes # 0

I am about to install W7 on a new drive, I'm confused by all of the installation guides which seem to only cover reformatting a used disc, the bit that confuses me is the partitioning bit as the guides tell you to only format the partition you are loading win 7 on.
XP was quite easy on this matter but W7 does'nt seem that straight forward.
i have visited all of the websites on this matter including M/Softs own but they are not very helpful about a new drive. Can I just use the whole disc without partitioning, if so how. Grateful for any help

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Just go ahead and format the whole drive when install asks. If you feel you would like it partitioned afterwards you can do it later.

Like this post
alexma

Likes # 0

I encountered difficulties loading W7. I kept getting a BSoD, tried both 'upgrade' & 'clean' install, with the same result (I had Vista Prem 64 installed & 8gb RAM)I was getting desparate now! I decided to remove all but 2gb of ram & it installed like a dream!!!I hope this may be of help to others experiencing similar problems.

Like this post
lhman

Likes # 0

Thanks Canarieslover, I will try that. is there any advantage loading Windows on it's own partition.
I understand that is anything goes up the swanee with Windows, you can reload it on that partition without losing your files. But surely most programs load some files in the reg so you would have to reload those?
Thanks for the tip Alexma, I'll keep that in mind

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

You could use a partition to keep your important files and documents but if the drive itself develops a fault then the partition for your files may not be accessible, it's better to have important files in more than one place, a partition and an external drive. Always store important files on multiple drives, that way if one drive dies your data doesn't die with it.

I find it's far better to use a disk image backup program like Acronis True Image. Create a disk image of the drive onto an external drive and if the system goes belly up then reinstall the disk image, the whole drive is returned to the condition it was in when the last backup was made.

You can even replace your existing C: drive if needed and then restore the disk image to the new one.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

If you're using the "upgrade" version of Windows 7 then you may run into problems installing to a freshly formatted drive as I believe it checks for an installed Windows OS, this site explains how to do it (click here). If on the other hand you're using a retail version of Windows 7 then I can't see any real problems with installing to a fresh drive.

Like this post
lhman

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, Windows installed and working but have a graphics problem now. I have started a new thread on this perhaps you can help on that too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...