We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

upgrade or not?

dare012

Likes # 0

Hi
i have a laptop & desktop with windows 2000 on it
is windows7 a good upgrade or not never put XP or vista on them
as i never did like them and the pain in the a$$ they are
just after a work horse like 2000 is

thx

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“I have a laptop & desktop with windows 2000 on it, is windows7 a good upgrade or not

Never put XP or Vista on them”

If you are happy with 2000 stay with it, Windows 7 is Vista with a facelift and some major

changes that make it more compatible with XP and Vista programs and more user friendly

Making the upgrade from 2000 to 7 would be a major upgrade for you as the layout and access to

difference areas of the OS can be a real pain

If you want try windows 7 I would suggest that you install it on a second hard drive on the

Desktop, which would you to change back to 2000 without to much hassle, by just rebooting the

computer and selecting the correct hard drive to boot from

Listed below is just a few sites that will help you to tweak Windows 7 to your liking

Windows 7 Forums.

click here

How-To Geek Windows 7

click here

Microsoft Windows 7 Help and Support

click here

Tweaks Windows 7

click here

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Sorry “which would you to change” should read, “which would allow you to change”

The two hard drive system is what I have at the moment on my desktop which allow me to

choose which OS to boot from XP or Windows 7

Like this post
dare012

Likes # 0

thx m8 after a long think about it the second drive is what i have come up with to

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

If they both came with Windows 2000 on them it would suggest that perhaps they are a bit too old and restricted in specification to even run Windows 7. A bit more information on the hardware specs of both machines would make it much easier for meaningful advice to be offered.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes