We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD Drives have disappeared

Icky

Likes # 0

Hello,

I hope you can help.
Dell Inspiron 545.
I did a full install of Windows 7 64 bit about a month ago (not a Dell upgrade) and everything has been running really well until just now.
I wanted to copy a CD and installed 'Tesco Easy Record' which I used with windows Vista. It didn't work and so I uninstalled it. Now the DVD drives don't show in 'My Computer' and won't play any DVDs.
I've tried updating the device drivers for the DVD drives but it says they are up to date but it does give the message "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"
I've tried System Restore but this didn't make any difference. For some reason System Restore was only set for about 200Mb on my 1Tb hard drive.

Any help please?

Like this post
Icky

Likes # 0

I asked Dell for their advice and it worked. Yippee!!!
I'll write here what I did so it can help others.

This is what I had to do:

1. Click on ?Start? icon at the bottom left.
2. Click on ?Run?.
3. Type ?Regedit? and press enter.
4. Select the option ?HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE?.
5. Select ?System? and click on ?Current Control Set?.
6. Click ?Control? and then select ?Class?.
7. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE.
8. From the right hand side of the screen delete any entries that say Upper Filters or Lower Filters.
9. Restart the computer and DVD Drive should be able to read discs.

Like this post
bemuzed

Likes # 0

I've got the same problem on an Acer computer. i I do the same editing in the registry will it work for me or completelty mess it up?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......