We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7/ XP Home Network problem

avesnes1

Likes # 0

I have a wired desktop dual booting W7 and XP plus a wireless laptop running XP. When both machines are running XP, they can see each other and the connected printer with no problems.

When the desktop is running W7, it can see the laptop but not vice versa and the laptop cannot print wirelessly via the desktop. I get the message on the laptop:- "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

I seem to recall reading something about non-W7 machines not being able to connect to W7 machines.

Could members confirm that my understanding is correct or have I missed something?

Also, is this problem likely to be fixed by Microsoft or is ther something inherent in the two operating systems that preclude a future fix?

(I'm glad that I set up the dual boot arrangement!)

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“I seem to recall reading something about non-W7 machines not being able to connect to W7 machines.
Could members confirm that my understanding is correct or have I missed something?”

Total nonsense Win 7 will share with all OS, XP, Vista, & 7

You need to set up Windows 7 correct

Right click on the Network Icon on the task bar – Click “Open Network and Shearing Center”

Click “Change Advanced shearing setting” and select “ Turn on Network Discovery”

Select “Turn on file and printer shearing”

Select the other selections as required

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

ambra4
Thanks for the reply.

I followed your instructions and found that "Turn on Network Discovery" is turned on.(All the other settings in that section are also turned on.)

I'd appreciate any other thoughts that you might have about this oddity.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“I get the message on the laptop:- "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

In the Password Shearing Section – Turn off the Password shearing

Home group section – Allow Windows to manage the home group connection

In Control panel – Click Home Group and follow the Instructions

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

ambra4
I've followed your second set of instructions and it worked. The laptop can now see the W7 desktop.

Many thanks for your assistance and for your patience.

avesnes1

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Always glad to help

Enjoy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad