We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

changing from 32 to 64 bit

Taw®

Likes # 0

having recently installed 32bit w7 onto my laptop I was wondering if I can now change it to the 64bit that came with it i.e. a fresh install with 64bit

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

Yes , but if you have activated windows 7 already ,you may (or may not ) have to reactivate it by phone .
but you are definately entitled to use either 32 or 64bit ,as long as you have only one installed at any one time.
that is assuming you have purchased the full version.

Like this post
Taw®

Likes # 0

Yes purchased the full version and received both 32 and 64 just assumed my computer wouldn't run the 64 so loaded 32, is there any advanage to me instslling 64?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

if you have (or intend to install)4gb or more of ram then yes you will see the benefit ,but think about it ,if you want to run some of your (old favorite) programs , you may find some wont work at all in 64bit . although most 32bit programs will run in 64bit without problems, there is no real benefit to having it unless you intend to run 4gb or more RAM and use programs written to utilize the best from 64bit.
the way I understand the microsoft licience agreement ,if you have a full licience you can allways change from one to the other ,it is not tied down to any specific computer ,you are licienced to run 1 installation of 32 or 64bit Windows 7, on any 1 computer you own ,but it can only be one install on one machine at a time .
therefore if you change your PC you can install it on your new PC ,but you must unintall it from the other one and so on.
you will however have to use phone activation if you reinstall a lot .

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For info , I am running dual boot XP 32 bit and W7 64 bit. I use Photoshop CS4 and want to use 4 Gig RAM. So far the only problem I have encountered on 64 bit is that my Canon MP760 will only scan in WIA mode, not Twain , with less control over scan reolution. Just replacing it with MP 640 which I hope will have 64 bit Twain drivers. If it does will ditch XP and stay with W7 64 bit for extra RAM potential (my motherboard only capable of 4 Gig RAM)

Like this post
Taw®

Likes # 0

I currently have 2GB and do not foresee needing to use anymore at this time, quite conservative PC user, internet,emails and shopping etc so do not see me, after studying your input I don't think there is any benefit for me to tinker with a clean install of 64 bit so I will remain with my 32 bit for the present, so thank you

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Could one of you answer me on a related issue pls.

New W7 x64 laptop connects to XP SP3 upstairs with Athlon 64 processor. I have the upgrade pack with both discs for that.

I know the printer doesnt work with x64 and no new drivers around.
Worried about the upstairs modem mmainly, its ancient.
(no drivers after |XP)

If I go for W7 32 bit at first, are my modem and printer likely to be OK?

Have not been able to answer this in spite of many days searching.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Suggest you dowload and run the MS Windows 7 compatability utility (google to get MS location). Should cover the printer ,not sure about modem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers