We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 doesn't recognise existing card readers

ian3

Likes # 0

Just upgraded to W 7 Ultimate from Vista Home Premium and no problems so far till today (did check compatibility before buying). Tried to download photos from XD card but PC doesn't show any of the usual three card drives (tried SD as well). USB slots adjoining both work.

Would appreciate any suggestions

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

my guess is driver problems ,possibly corrupted during install , I have windows 7 ,on 3 machines including Ultimate 64bit ,home premium 32bit and UltimateN in 32bit and every reader , (4) external drive ,printer camera ,etc. are all recognised (and correctly displayed)
I would check the usb section in device manager , and if nessesary uninstall the usb drivers ,windows will reinstall the correct ones on restart automatically .
you say windows is not showing them ,do you mean (in explorer) via my computer . or are they simply not triggering autorun.
if windows is not showing them try another usb port ,on the back instead of front . as a last resort you could run the windows 7 installation disc and choose repair option.

Like this post
ian3

Likes # 0

Thanks, I'll give the suggestions a try.

you say windows is not showing them ,do you mean (in explorer) via my computer YES

Like this post
PAC1

Likes # 0

Had same problem.
Go to Folder options in control panel.
Just below 'Show hidden Files, Folders and Drives' it says 'Hide empty drives in the computer folder'. Untick box and click apply. Drives should now be visible in My Computer. Hope this helps.

Like this post
ian3

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Good news. Not what I thought it was - I decided to open up the pc and I pulled out the connector to the back of the card readers. Left it for a few minutes and plugged it back. Reconnected everything, switched on and it re installed the drivers automatically and I now have my three card readers up and running. It may be that W7 did create the problem but then again perhaps the connection was loose?

Many thanks to you both for your interest and suggestions

Like this post
RGB76

Likes # 0

Many thanks Pac1,

I had that same problem, your suggestion worked a treat.

Kind regards

Russell

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

If anytime any of the hardware given in your laptop does not gets recognized by an operating system then the easiest way to solve this problem is to uninstall them so that your OS installs new drivers for your hardwares. You can use Mouse to do the following steps.

* Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
* In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
* Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Now restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more