We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 won't restore

TOFF

Likes # 0

I think I have done something dumb. I recently Vista to 7 and ran Glary Utilities which claims to defrag your registry. However, my version of Glary had not been upgraded to W7. It ran and restarted and then windows tried to run Startup repair. This would not work and still won't work - nor will system restore. I fear that I will have to reinstall everything and thereby lose all my files, not all of which are backed up onto my external hard drive.

If this is my only option, are there programmes which will allow me to search for my old files on the hard disk even though they have been technically wiped. They always say that everything remains on a hard disk even though it may appear to be deleted. Is this so?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

there is recuva from click here

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

just to add that your best chance of recovering your deleted files would be to run recuva now as the more times they are overwritten the less chance of recovering them.either that or you could take it to a professional data recovery company.good luck.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

back in the days of XP I had glary mess up causing reinstall of XP. Have not used since.

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

out of the 5 or 6 utilities that i've tried over the last few years the only one that hasn't caused me any problems is ccleaner.it's a pretty mild cleaner toff if you still want a cleanerclick here

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Dear Smackheads

Thanks. as windows won't start, I guess I will have to run recuva after I have reinstalled it. This would involve using the Dell recovery disk. Is there any way to find my docs, photos and emails through dos and transferring them to my external HD?

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

you could boot from a live linux disc click here

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

sorry has your data been deleted or is that you can't boot windows to get to it?if the latter go for the live ubuntu disc.

Like this post
havencroft

Likes # 0

Have you trid booting from the win 7 install disk and trying the repair option? It might just be a case of FixMBR and Fix Boot commands.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

I resolved it all with the Ubuntu CD which allowed me to copy all the necessary files to my external HD. Thanks Smackheadz for that suggestion. I had already tried booting it from the Windows 7 CD but without success.

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

System Restore
If there’s one thing newer versions of Windows have incorporated astoundingly well, it is the ability to system restore to just about any point in the past. Now, so long as the problem you’ve been having is relatively recent, you’ll be able to be back in business in no time.
Just follow these steps to getting your system back to the way it’s supposed to be running:
1. Go to Start ? Programs ? Accessories ? System Tools ? System Restore
2. As a new feature in Windows 7, your computer analyzes the best point in the past to go to, in order to solve any issues you’re having – just be patient, it’ll take a second.
3. After the system restore tool has looked into your restore points, it’ll suggest the best one to return to ? if you know that point is compromised, select the option to “see more restore points”, if the point is good however, initiate the system restore.
4. This next step can take a few minutes, so you might want to work on something else – your computer is rebuilding itself back to what it used to be before things went horribly wrong.
5. Assuming the restore went well, you should boot back up to find your desktop waiting for you and working well.
6. If the restore didn’t go well, you’ll want to go to our second featured way to restore Windows

7.Ultimately, for those users who aren’t too familiar with computers, this method is user friendly and tends to work in about 75-80% of all cases. However, when you tinker with computers as much as I do (and I bet many of you do), this option simply isn’t enough, which is why you should try…
Making a Boot-Up CD (or USB Drive)
Diagnostically speaking, a boot CD or USB drive is the most valuable tool in your current arsenal for tackling your problem. Even more importantly, the boot CD also includes several tools that can fix and repair hard drives and networks – most important to helping you resolve the problem after you’ve diagnosed it.

For More Information and help related to windows 7 issues click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...