We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen goes blank, I mean off! Laptop

Awshum

Likes # 0

HP laptop running W7 Home Premium.

Two days old, with first proper usage yesterday, all the MS updates came at me and I installed them. Upon power up today I got to the point of starting windows and then the screen goes off.

Hitting keys, like the windows key allowed functions, well it made the sounds of loading etc.

I fixed by a restore to factory and not allow the updates.

It's definately an MS update that did this! I haven't accepted any thus far and the laptop is working perfectly, in fact I'm using it to write this.

Only I hadn't been on any sites, or downloaded anything off the Internet, just spent time activating the 60day trial of Norton and registering various OEM programs already loaded.

Like this post
Awshum

Likes # 0

Only could be an MS update as I hadn't.....

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Activating 60 day trial of Norton says it all.

"Only could be an MS update as I hadn't.....
"
Start again to factory settings.
When the laptop boots to desktop then go to start, control panel and uninstall Norton.
Uninstall any other bumf shown on desktop.
Reboot and make sure W7 firewall running.
Never click on any desktop icons on first boot-up with popular computer makers. Makes it difficult to remove integrated crap.
Now you've removed the 'forced selling' bumf, illegal with door to door selling by the way, then install Microsoft security essentials until you work out what you need.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forgot the link; click here

Like this post
Awshum

Likes # 0

It's definately not Norton.

I haven't experienced the issue since I recovered the laptop (and since re-accepted the windows updates) but I'm now experiencing a slight flicker on the backlight. Not much just maybe up a notch and then down again in brightness as I scroll web pages, this is the only place I notice it.

I've got a £500 hp lemon laptop. Grrrr.

I've searched and it's apparently a common complaint with HP machines running off the battery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015