We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade to Windows 7 - hanging

Islandgirl

Likes # 0

windows 7 upgrade

I am upgrading from Vista Preium to Win 7 Pro and am having trouble Dont know if anyone can help.
I have got to the second stage "Gathering files setting and programs" I started this yesterday at 9-30 am and got to this stage before 10-30 when it got to 17% it hung and didnt move until 18-00
I went to bed at midnight and it was on 58% but this morning it has hung again was on 87% at 8-30 when i got up, and is still there now. It is still working bcause it keeps altanating between "please wait" and "323329 or 379272 files gathered" and the mouse cursur moves and light on PC is flashing. Is there anything I can do PLEASE. Joan

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I think it is because you cannot upgrade from Vista Home Premium to windows 7 Pro. click here(WS.10).aspx you will need to do a clean install. Save your files etc before hand.

Like this post
Islandgirl

Likes # 0

anskyber Thank you for your reply, i made a mistake i am upgrading from Windows Visa Business service pack 2 - This cam installed on my new Acer PC and Acer have given me the upgrade discs for a small fee, so i am sure this whould be ok. It is still hung on 87% Joan

Like this post
Islandgirl

Likes # 0

anskyber - At last it suddenly moved and is now transferring files settings and programs. 31 hours to get to this position, will stop panicing now. Joan I hope

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Good luck!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Patience is a virtue you seem to have bucketloads of. I couldn't wait that long, it would drive me nuts!!!!

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

lol,i agree 100%.i reckon my pc would have been out the window by now :o(

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

- Restart the computer. Then, your computer will roll back to Windows Vista.
- Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
- On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
- Under System variables, click New.
- Type MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS in the Variable name field.
- Type IphlpsvcMigPlugin.dll in the Variable value field.
- Click OK three times to close the dialog boxes.
- Start the upgrade installation again.

For More Information and help related to windows 7 issues click here

Like this post
Islandgirl

Likes # 0

Thanks Technocrate, it did eventually finish but I forgot to click resolved. By the way now it is up and running i love Windows 7 Joan

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks