We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD EVERYTIME

flockton

Likes # 0

I have happily run on XP for years, but decided to upgrade to W7 with a clean install. Every time I boot I see the first screen then get BSOD with different causes on each occasion. My failsafe is to hit F8 on boot and revert to last good OS which gets me back to XP. Am I the only person with this problem? Should I try installing W7 again or buy a new HDD. I have used the 'Ugrade Advisor' with nothing mentioned which should stop the load, including occupied USB ports.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

There is something wrong with your installation.

You say you did aclean install, yet you can boot to XP by hitting F8!!

Did you intend a dual boot or to remove XP?

If it was to remove XP then at some piont in installing W7 you chose a wrong option.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Have a read and check it out click here

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Read the truth at Tweakguides.com article entitled "Microsoft Security Update Black Screen Issues". Don't people love to jump on the bandwagon!

Like this post
tes

Likes # 0

Have got the same problem, system freezes & when I do shift alt & del it goes into BOSD.Has been fine since I installed windows 7 2weeks ago,just started today.

Like this post
flockton

Likes # 0

I am grateful for the comments alerting me to articles on the web; I had read them all but they did not help. I followed the instructions provided by Microsoft, PCA and Computer Active which all say that I load it into the drive containing XP. Clearly my installation had not gone far enough to delete XP. The solution seems to be to buy a new HDD to replace one that is only 1 year old.

Like this post
tes

Likes # 0

Further to my post, my problem turned out to be a dying hard drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback