We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista not upgrading to 7

hansa

Likes # 0

Just a quickie and will investigate other ideas but this is my first port of call.

Have tried to upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate.

7 upgrade advisor indicates no conflicts and upgrade started ok. had to leave the installation and when I returned - no upgrade' still with Vista!

On screen message saying my current OS was not compatible and to run upgrade advisor.

Anyone else come across this or any ideas of the problem?

Vista Ultimate SP2 32 bit.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“Have tried to upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate”

Do a clean install not a upgrade

Like this post
hansa

Likes # 0

ambra4

this would be a last resort as I am trying to avoid the hassle of reinstalling programs, drivers etc.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

ambra4
was right a clean install in the long run is less hassle

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“I am trying to avoid the hassle of reinstalling programs, drivers etc”

Not all programs or Vista drivers will work in 7, an will cause a conflict with 7 you will have to

install new 7 drivers for the audio, display card, printers, lan & wireless card, so a clean install

will solve all of your problems

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I tried both methods - upgrade and clean.

Forget upgrade it leaves a load of rubbish behind and doesn't work 100%. By the time you've cleaned everything up and re-installed a load of programs and looked for drivers you are much better off doing clean.

W7 has got to be the fastest most efficient Microsoft o/s ever for doing a clean install.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Can only concur, a clean install will be much less hassle in the long run.

Like this post
hansa

Likes # 0

thanks for all the feedback, will spend the next couple of days collecting all the program info, etc. and will give it a go. Will get back to you with the results.

One more question - will I be able to update the drivers for the audio, display card, printers, etc. after I have installed 7?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'will I be able to update the drivers for the audio, display card, printers, etc. after I have installed 7?'

You probably won't need to as W7 will find the most up to date ones for you and install them during the clean install.

Like this post
hansa

Likes # 0

ta!

Like this post
smackheadz

Likes # 0

another vote for a clean install here,i could have had the upgrade for free but bought the full version to do a clean install.had one yellow mark in device manager that was sorted with a windows update a week later.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...