We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W 7 and dual boot niggles.

john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have 3 partitions, C (W7) D (XP) and F (data). Hoping to ditch XP when all testing done. Problems so far: 1. If Xp launched, it deletes all restore points in W7.One fix is to use Bitlocker on W7 but apparently my motherboard /BIOS does not support it. A reg edit has yet to be tried. 2. Twain drivers for W7 64 bit not available for my Canon MP760 - hope they work on a MP640 as the WIA interface is not flexible. Still cannot get W7 to use more than 3 out of 4 Gig RAM - hope this will improve when XP is ditched as the start up, I suspect , limits the amount usable. 3. My motherboard does not , apparently, support the XP emulation mode, so I have not downloaded it, even though I have W 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Using PC Tools firewall, Avira anti virus plus SAS and Malawarebytes, so far so good. Any quick fix for restore points problem - any other dual booters having the same prob?

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

“If XP launched, it deletes all restore points in W7”

Take a read it might help

click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks, butcould not find this issue there. The MS site knows about it and there is a regedit, but I have et to try it. Just wondered if other dual booters with XP and W7 have found this problem.

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

I had to edit the registry when installing W7 to dual boot with XP on my netbook and it did stop restore points from being deleted.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks - did you do the MS edit, or another?

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

I followed the instructions detailed in KB926185
click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks, will try it. In the meantime relying on ATI 2010 imaging on W7 - maybe will try their continuous back ups.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

This is not a new problem with Win 7, it also occurs when dual booting with Vista, its down to different disk structuresthat XP cannot recognise. The downside of the registry edit is that you will not be able to access the Win 7 partition from XP. As you suggest the best option is to use True Image for regular back ups until you ditch XP.

Before you erase XP make sure the required boot files are not deleted, these will be on the system drive, they are bootmgr and a folder named Boot.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks for your advice - I also hope that my 4 gig RAM will be usable when XP goes; at the moment ,even on W 7 64 bit, only 3 Gig is usable, and I really can't - for a relatively short period - worry about fiddling with the BIOS

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015