We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Personalize Appearance Win 7

fsbb

Likes # 0

New laptop with Win 7 64bit Premium.

In previous versions, ie. XP, Vista, the size of font, type of font, size and spacing of icons, size of scroll and menu bars could all be customised via 'Personalize Appearance and Sounds'.

I cannot find this utility in Win 7 Premium. I can only find DPI Scaling which is not much good as I wish to customise as per para 1.

Is the facility available in Win 7?

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

You need to do the following to get the type of apperance that you need

Size of the desktop Icons – Right click on the desktop – View – Icon Size

Spacing of Desktop Icons – Right click on the desktop – Click Personalize – Double click on the

Windows Color Icon

Taskbar Icon Size – Right click on the task bar – Properties – Change to suit

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

To remove or change the large shortcut arrow download

Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover

click here

Like this post
fsbb

Likes # 0

Ambra4. Windows Colour Icon > Advanced Appearance Settings
is what I couldn't find - eyes & brain clearly wasn't talking to each other.

Thanks for pointing me to the right location.

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

Glad to be of help

Enjoy

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

All you have to do is right click your taskbar, and pick properties, and you can customize the size of your quick launch program shortcut icons, auto-hide the taskbar, lock the taskbar, change the location of your taskbar, change how your open application buttons on your taskbar behave, and look, hide system tray icons, turn off your system tray icons for icons for volume, network,etc, and use Aeropeak for show desktop.

You can also turn sections like control panel, my computer, etc on or off in the startmenu, change what the power button does on your start menu like logoff, shut down, etc. You can set if recently open files and programs are displayed in your taskbar and startmenu.

Lastly, you can set what toolbars you want open or not by checking and unchecking them.
If you unlock your taskbar, you can also make the taskbar bigger or smaller by draging the top border up or down.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite