We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Corrupted MBR

tamsin

Likes # 0

Please can someone tell me how to recover this situation. Have multiboot system - WIN7 HOme Premium 64 bit - Vista home Premium 32 bit and XP.
All booted beatifully. But MBR is now corrupt and I can only get into Vista.
Bearing in mind I am not very knowledgeable in this area - how can I recover a good MBR?

Like this post
LinH

Likes # 0

tamsin

Try a free app. called EasyBCD, I think I am right in saying that it will reconstruct your corrupt MBR as well as enable you to choose which is the boot partition.

LinH

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Yes I can confirm that this will enable you to reconstruct the Windows bootloader click here

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Have tried Easy BCD but it appears my boot record is locked - Heeeeelp. Please.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Dont understand what you mean re boot record locked? Have you tried the Add/Remove entries option in Easy BCD?

Another option is when the boot menu appears, highlight the Windows 7 entry and press F8. The first option is Repair my computer, select this and choose Startup Repair. This can also be done by booting with a Win 7 or Vista DVD.

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Sorry for delay - have been away.
I have tried repairing my computer using WIN7 disc and also Repair from within Vista - both to no avail.

I no longer get any option to boot from a program - my computer automatically goes into Vista. Have totally lost contact with WIN7 and XP.
Saw on MS WIN7 forum that I could boot from WIN7 disc and install until the boot option came up - then stop install and go to %Windows_temp and delete all startup options and that I needed bootrec.ece/fixmbr and bootrec.exe/fixboot. No further information though.

I dont know which files are start up files to be deleted and as for the bootrec files I have no idea where to find them or what to do with them.
MS forums are not at all explicit.
Does any of this make sense to you??

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Easy BCD is the answer to your problem.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Bootrec tool in a Command Prompt

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

forgot the link

click here

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

Thanks sunnystaines - will try this.
Easy BCD just is not rewriting the MBR and I am too scared to delete the Boot folder in case I lose all access.

Like this post
tamsin

Likes # 0

I decided to reinstall WIN7 and regain my MBR that way - so now is all working well. Thanks for all your help. Sorry I did not seem to be able to get it right any other way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...