We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 ultimate and blu ray

wobbler

Likes # 0

My Sony all in one PC played blu ray DVD on Vixta no problem at all. Since upgrading to Windows 7 it will not play Blu Ray but will play standard DVD.s. Is there a workaround for this problem?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

you may need a b/ray driver

Like this post
wobbler

Likes # 0

Ant recomendations?

Like this post
chelseafan

Likes # 0

I've updated my Acer Aspire 6530 notebook and have suffered the same problem. Standard DVD's still play but not Blu-Ray.
I've updated the driver via Device Manager and am told i have the latest driver.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

I think the reason you're unable to play Blu-Ray discs is because you don't have the necessary 3rd-party codecs/software installed.

In other words, the reason Blu-Rays worked OK in Vista is because the manufacturers pre-installed the necessary codecs/software to do so.

So reinstall these codecs/software & you should be able to play Blu-Ray discs again. Sony/Acer must have supplied these on discs. If not, or they only work with Vista, you'll need to purchase this separately. G

Like this post
LinH

Likes # 0

Windows 7 does not include a Blu-ray codec. Those with Acer machines should install Acer's own player Arcade De Luxe as this does include a codec that will enable you to play Blu-ray discs.

LinH

Like this post
chelseafan

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your replies but i'm still not able to play blu-ray discs. I've have a scout around the internet and it appears a common problem. Most people are suggesting installing Acer Arcade Deluxe. This was installed on the laptop before i upgraded to Windows 7. But can i find it? No !! Any ideas?

Like this post
wobbler

Likes # 0

I solved this program bu buying a copy of PowerDVD off ebay. it only cost me £10 and solved the problem immediately

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

The amount of users who would use Windows 7 to play Blu-Ray movies can surely be neglected at this point as most hardware Blu-Ray players for personal computers are expensive and not 100% compatible with all Blu-Ray features.

Users who want Blu-Ray playback on their computer systems
can purchase a third party software which will not cost that much more than the projected $30 that universal Blu-Ray support would cost. Everyone else will be happy that they do not have to pay for a feature that they would never use.

For More Information and issues related to windows 7 click here

Like this post
LinH

Likes # 0

chelseafan

You can download Arcade de-luxe from the support section of the Acer website

LinH

Like this post
chelseafan

Likes # 0

Many thanks LinH but I'm not able to locate the Arcade Deluxe software on the (useless) Acer website. I find drivers etc but not the software. If you know of it can you send me a link please.

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?