We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What a disaster!

Severn Bore

Likes # 0

After careful preparation of my PC and having read how easy it was to upgrade from Vista to "the marvellous" Windows 7 I took the plunge at the weekend.
What a mistake. I have been plagued with a load of tedious errors and freezes I never experienced with Vista or XP before that. It seems I shall be faced with having to do a clean install, which with my over half full terrabyte drive is an absolute nightmare!
Goodness knows what persuaded me to undertake the upgrade when Vista was actually working quite well for me I don't honestly know. Perhaps I just wanted a change.
However, just a warning that not everything Windows 7 is rosy!
Anyone else had problems?

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Did you run the upgrade advisor? W7 is very good. I think you may have some incompatibility here, do a clean install.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Windows 7 is very good. It's extremely stable, once installed. All you need to do is make sure that there are Windows 7 drivers available for your hardware peripherals, and that your existing software is supported. You can do that by running the upgrade adviser.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I had no problem installing Windows 7 at all, I did however do a custom install on both my desktop which was Vista, preferring a fresh start over a clogged Vista mess, my notebook which had XP gave no other option as it demands a custom install. I also made a disk image before hand as a fall back, I also made an image of Win 7 once installed which I've had to restore twice from in order to sort some driver problems out.

Anyone thinking of doing an upgrade, or for that matter installing new hardware or software should really do a disk image backup using Acronis True Image or other Disk Image software before proceeding. Things can and do go wrong on a regular basis, having a disk image to recover to can save your sanity and a lot of hair loss.

Like this post
Severn Bore

Likes # 0

I did a full compatability check and uninstalled just two items of incompatible software (everything else was deemed OK). I also downloaded the latest Win 7 drivers for all hardware needs. The PC was well prepared, with virus checks, system clean and defrag before the upgrade was started. However, the result was still disappointing. Never had this problem upgrading from Win 95; XP and Vista respectively!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

did you account for w7 version of all your drivers and have then backed up to a dvd

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I created 3 partitions, one for a clean install of W7, one with my existing XP and a third with all data (My documents etc) I am running a dual boot with W7 and XP. So far the ony problem is that my Canon MP760 prints ok but only scans in WIA mode, not Twain (I have 64 bit and found there are no 64 bit drivers for the Twain part) Still learning, the file system takes some getting used to. Expect to ditch XP in next week or so. Bought ATI 2010 and Roxio creator 2010

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK