We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WerFault and Windows 7

luddite

Likes # 0

So I upgrade to Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit from Vista 64

It all went well until I tried to open a 32 bit programme. IE 64 opens okay, but that’s it. If I open any 32 bit programme (and some of the management programmes) I get werfault.exe*32 in the processes in the task manager. This spirals out of control, it had got up to 7,000 open processes on one occasion.

I have opened in safe mode and everything starts fine.

I have disabled all services at startup in Msconfig, and all the programmes will open.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance

Like this post
User-FC0CC263-E51A-431F-9CA459FC39B4E4E9

Likes # 0

try going to action center-maintenance-settings and change to each time a problem occurs ask me before checking solutions.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I googled your problem and found this article, it mentions insufficient free space as a possible cause and also using msconfig to determine which background program may be causing the problem have a read (click here)

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

Was this a "clean" install or an upgrade?

Werfault.exe is a Microsoft Windows program that is used for automated reporting of problems in the Windows operating system. Many times end-users will become confused and think that Werfault is a form of spy or malware and attempt to delete the program. Unfortunately, when Werfault.exe is deleted, it can cause significant errors with the operation of the Windows operating system on your computer. To minimize the number of times that Werfault.exe is run on your computer when programs crash, you can disable problem reporting in Windows to stop Werfault.exe from running.

Difficulty: Moderate
Instructions

1. Step 1
Go to Start > Run,. ad type services.msc
2. Scroll down until you locate Windows Error Reporting service,. stop it,. and choose Disabled
3. This will not fix the craashing problem,. unless you upgraded.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes